Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dangerous, but tasty treat...

I wanted to warn you all of a rather expensive lesson I learned the hard way...

These treats are available in many stores, but I happened to buy them at Costco... and my dogs flipped for them! Problem is - they are dogs!

This is a very brittle treat and when the dogs crunched them, the chicken strips splintered. Bella was eating one (last summer) and it caused a lot of stomach upset (from both ends) and hand wringing - on my behalf, while I waited to see if her innards that got scraped and punctured would heal, or if surgery would be required. Fortunately, the antibiotics worked and she healed quickly, but this could have been nasty!

My suggestion to you is, if you feel that you must purchase this treat (cuz your dog just loves it...) Try soaking it in water to the point where it becomes pliable before feeding it to them. I also cut it into small pieces now... and it is reserved as a very special treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment