Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Final Goodbye...

Please forgive my "down" post today, but... along with responsible ownership, must come considerate care of your beloved dog... When they are hurting, you need to do what is right.

My daughter and I took Chipper to a local park and let him have a final walk through the woods before we took him to the vets. He enjoyed stopping and smelling all the doggy scents along the way.

My children know how very special Chipper has always been to me - the "man of the house" living with his "harem". Angela knew the anguish I would feel at his departure, so she took a deep breath and came to help me through this. Bless her heart!

Chipper always enjoyed his walks, but it was heartbreaking to watch - my dear Chip, who always loved to prance and bounce along, was walking with his tail down and just was not my spunky little man any more...

We stopped a few times to compose ourselves and to say our goodbyes...

He was loving the attention - doesn't get much one-on-one time when the puppies are around...

We let him finish the rest of his walk unleashed. He has walked the streets of so many countries Belgium, Germany, France, Switzerland, Holland, Canada - always with me by his side. I could not let him take this last walk alone... He passed very peacefully, in a room filled with aching hearts and lots of love....
It is never easy to lose a beloved pet, but who could ask for more... than to take your last breaths in the arms of someone who has loved you so dearly...
Rest now, my dear Chipper and I'll see you again someday, on the other side of that bridge I cannot yet cross...

Thank you to all my dear friends for your outpourings of support and shared grief.
Tomorrow I will put this behind me and be back with more puppy pictures...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Donna,

    This and yesterday's post must have been the hardest ones you have ever had to write. Certainly heart wrenching to read and yet, I am so glad you have shared them and Chipper's last days with us, your readers. Thank you

    You're so right about the end being part of responsible pet ownership (the hardest loving thing we often have to do for them). To go out in the arms of and, feeling the love of someone we have loved and been loved by so dearly . . . is what all should have.

    May the many, many memories Chipper has left you with bring comfort and eventually . . . smiles.

    ReplyDelete