Monday, January 18, 2010

Food First...

Over the next few days, I will be posting various articles of info for my puppy purchasers and the kind people who have written to me asking questions... Remember that my recommendations are just what I choose to use. Take the info you wish and discard things that do not apply to your situation. Hope this helps you.

This is the dog food I feed my guys. The pups are eating the puppy version of it and since the pups kept trying to eat the adult's food, I switched my dogs onto the puppy food while the pups are still here. I only do this because the pups need the puppy formula for about a year and my dogs do not have any weight issues, so the puppy formula will not hurt them.


Save the high protein, organ treats (any brand - they love them!) for after brushing treats (no more than one per day) or they can develop diarrhea, since these treats are very rich. I also make my own - just purchase liver, place it on tin foil, in a low oven and cook till good and dried out, then cut and freeze till you want to use it. No spices necessary.

These are the other types of treats I use for my dogs.
The Science Diet t/d is available from vets and is for tarter control, but I feed it to my guys for a treat.
Pure Bites are available at Wal Mart and are made from Chicken breast - excellent training treat, as the pups love it. One of the few treats they will actually come to you for, when distracted outdoors!
The Dentastix, I take one stick and break it into four pieces. I give them one piece, if I have to leave them in the pen and run to the store... keeps them occupied and is good for teething.
The tiny puppy cookies are the training aid I use the most - half a cookie is enough for a reward, when they come - or sit. We'll talk more about these when you pick your puppies up and I'll show you a few training tips.
It is not necessary to feed you dog all kinds of treats and I would not recommend you do so, as small tummies can upset easily.
ALL chew toys and rawhides should be big enough that they will not choke on them and should only be given under supervised conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment