Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I'll be back... just a sad day today...


I am taking Chipper to the vets this afternoon and I am sorry to say... he will not be coming home with me. We have had a great life together and I have never had a more devoted dog! It makes me feel a bit guilty to do this to him, but he just is not himself lately and it is time... He is not a happy dog these days.
Over the past few weeks, I have noticed a steady decline in his "awareness" and I believe he is suffering from canine dementia. He is 13 yrs old and this is common in dogs his age. He wanders, and paces the floors all day and night, and has to go out every couple of hours. He just can't seem to get comfortable and rest anywhere.
I have tried crating him at night, but he cries pathetically, to be with me. Lately, he is not satisfied with just sleeping ON my bed, now tries to get right IN with me. He hates when I am even out of his sight and is sooo upset when I have to go out and leave him. He startles easily and "air" snaps at the pups if they come near him, and even people, if they move past him too quickly.
Along with all of this, he has deteriorated eyesight and hearing, no resistance to cold, arthritic joints, sore teeth and no appetite (he is like skin and bones - just can't get any weight on him) and cannot hold his bladder more than a few hours. Not the way I want to remember him.
Perhaps, if I had just one dog to care for, I would try to keep him a month or more yet, but it is not fair to any of them at this point.
I plan to take him for a nice walk in a nearby park prior to his apt and I will stay with him to the end. We should all wish to have lived such a life - so loved and cared for - right to his last breath.
I know you feel for my suffering, at this point, but please understand - I cannot talk about this in person right now. The next few days will be pretty tough around here... Bailey leaves Friday and Laila on Sunday... and then it will just be me and my girls. Thursday will be a quiet day, spent grooming and loving all my furry friends!

3 comments:

  1. So sorry Donna...hope you are holding up ok. I'm going to miss Chip-Chip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Guys! Yesterday was a rough day. All the kind comments and support really helped. I will always miss his prancing step and his sweet little kisses... he was a dear dog!~
    My head aches from all the crying, but it is time to stop feeling sorry for MY loss and feel the comfort of knowing he is in doggie heaven now - sitting on my Father's knee, with his dear friend Breeze. I know Daddy will be happy to have him there with him...

    ReplyDelete