Friday, April 6, 2012

A Hairy Day...

One of the services that I provide to my Lhasa purchasers, is to teach them what I know regarding grooming. When you own mulitple dogs that have long hair, grooming costs can add up quickly and a good pair of clippers and scissors pays for themselves quickly.
Merlin's (Tobi) new owner came over earlier this week, to learn to clip her three dogs down and since it can get rather "hairy" we decided to show you outdoors, using Brandy as our training aide...

The first thing you want to do is brush out any matts, bath and dry the dog, then run a comb through, to ensure there are no tangles and the hair is clean, so it will not dull the clippers.
I do the bathing part the day before, just to split the work up a bit.

Personally, on a dog with longer hair, like Brandy had, I trim a lot of the length off using scissors first. I had left the hair on her back longer, so I could show Brenda the difference that the various combs make, in length.

The wind was blowing the hair around pretty good, but Brenda did a great job! Neither of us would win any grooming competitions, but a few hours of work saved us a lot of money.

Another reason we were doing the grooming outdoors, was so the pups could play while we were busy. Well, little Mr Merlin discovered the wading pool my other pups have been playing in/drinking out of... and decided to plunge right in! Loves water obviously!! ha ha
Notice the hair on my fleece jacket - not a good choice for grooming! You would think I would learn by now...lol, but that is what they make lint rollers for, right?? ;-) Hmmm... wonder if Brenda would take those clipper to my grey old mop?!

The nicest part of grooming outdoors in the spring, is that I just leave the hair where it flies... the birds love it for their nests and it composts...

2 comments:

  1. I'd try doing your hair but you'd never forgive the results!! I really liked the way you had it when we went to the red hat "do" at the racetrack....maybe we'll have a spa day when the puppies are all gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh... that is so long ago that I don't remember how it was! lol Think I'll just go to a hairdresser (as a treat) when the pups have all departed...Nothing personal of course... giggle

    ReplyDelete